Sunday, April 06, 2008

Heart Healer

I spoke with my dad on Friday night... He's out of the hospital and sounds like he has a new lease on life. I guess that's what it takes, facing your own mortality can open your eyes to the reality of cherishing every moment.

We had a nice conversation... And yes, at one point he said, "Yeah, I know I made mistakes with you kids. I guess I was too busy to notice things that were going on, but I can't change the past." I can't say it healed any wounds... That kind of give and take seldom does... However, when we began discussing plans to visit in June and hike the Giant Redwoods together, well, it gave me hope that we might have the opportunity to build on something new and positive.

So my dad is now focusing on eating healthy and taking the prescribed medications and I'm focusing on letting go of the past and looking toward the future... And when I'll have the chance to walk through the redwoods with my dad.



Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nature Girl said...

I'm so sorry to hear your dad was taken ill, but so happy to hear he's on the mend and out of the hospital. Heart attacks are nothing to mess with, so I'm glad he's taking better care of himself so you can hike those Redwoods together. They say Time heals all wounds...I'm not always sure of that, but I hope that in your case it's just the ticket needed.
Hugs.
Stacie

11:21 AM, April 07, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

i'm glad to hear he came through well and seems a bit more open somehow even if it isn't to the level you'd like.

hoping your walk through the redwoods is one that continues a certain quiet hope between the two of you.

9:42 AM, April 09, 2008  
Blogger KatBouska said...

Hey I just found your blog while browsing finslippy...I'm glad you're Dad is feeling better. It's so nice to hear when not only pur parents, but when anyone takes ownership for things gone wrong in the past. No matter how little. I hope you two are able to build a fresh new strong relationship together!

6:26 PM, April 13, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts girls and Welcome to my blog Kathy, I hope you enjoy it here. :-)

9:46 PM, April 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home