Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Typical Day at The New School

My daughter is absolutely LOVING the new camera she got for her birthday... And thank heaven, I finally have MY camera back, all to myself (whew!)

Yesterday she took several pics of the kids at school and they're such a wonderful representation of the unique school my kids attend, I thought I'd post a couple of them here.

Here's a trio of the younger kids at the school, without even realizing it, demonstrating the strong bonds of friendship formed in such a nurturing environment.

'The Creek' is a popular spot once the weather turns warmer. Rare indeed, is the school where a day or days spent discovering nature or just playing together for hours is encouraged. The students of the school have recently submitted a proposal to the school meeting, to engineer a foot bridge across an area of the creek... However, since the creek is on public property they're facing having to take their proposal to the city. It's just another day at The New School, where the kids decide, through a voting process, whether or not to take on the city council.



Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The school sounds like an awesome place! I hope your kids know how lucky they are to have a mom that wants to give them the best tools to make a great life!

1:28 PM, April 23, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

wow. i've grown so disheartened by what my son has endured in school and how it has squelched his creativity....makes me wish he could go somwhere like this.

8:04 AM, April 24, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

AWSOME! I just LOVE that shot of the 3 girls sitting with their arms around one another. That's a framer right there! Your daughter shows promise with photography..does her school have a yearbook committe or school scrapbook that she can contribute to? That would be way cool.
Stacie

8:29 PM, April 24, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Christy, it IS an awesome place and I think my kids are pretty aware of how lucky they are.

Lime, Oh how I wish your son could experience this wonderful place... And I understand so well how a kids creativity can be squelched, that's exactly what was happening to my son in traditional school. I think there's a democratic school out your way called 'The Circle School' in Harrisonburg.

Stacie, Isn't it an adorable shot, the middle kid is a boy. The school doesn't have a yearbook but they created a calendar last year and maybe she'll get a shot if they create another one of those.

3:34 PM, April 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home