Sunday, January 04, 2009

Grin and Drive

Did you ever notice people when they drive... Typically, if they aren't talking on their cell phone (which admittedly is rare), they're scowling... Not even a blank face... Actively scowling. Is driving really so difficult, so utterly terrible, people have to make it appear to be such a chore?

As for me, I LOVE to drive. It's always been a sense of freedom for me. When I had reached the magical age of 16 and was legally able to obtain a liscence, my parents lowered the old 'Catch 22'... "You can get your liscence when you are able to afford your own car and own insurance." Now tell me this, how was I to afford these things without the means of getting to a job which would pay me enough to do so? Sure I had a job, a nowhere job at a shoe store, but once I paid for my own school clothes, toiletries, dinners when I worked evenings and rent to live in my parents house, there wasn't much left over for even the down payment on a used car, let alone insurance. There were a multitude of reasons for me wanting to 'escape' from my parents home.

I started driving after I left home at the age 18. My fiance (now husband) put me on his insurance and lent me his car while he carpooled to work. I eventually got that job 30 miles from my home, which paid enough for me to afford things like a car and insurance. I just had to leave home to do it.

Anyway, back to my original point. Do any of you remember that day you first held a set of car keys in your hand? The keys to the car which YOU were going to drive? Do you remember that thrill? Weren't you just wishing you'd run into (not literally, c'mon guys work with me here) someone you knew? I remember, I remember it SO clearly. It still makes me smile and sometimes, every once in awhile, I clutch my car keys in my hand and am reminded of that sweet taste of freedom and I climb behind the wheel and I smile.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

What I remember most is getting the keys to the first car that I bought (not the Chevette my sister gave me). It was a '77 celica GT lift back. My father handed me the keys at the bank and asked if I knew how to drive I stick. I lied and made it home in second gear:)

9:54 PM, January 04, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i remember being scared to death about taking my DL exam because the car i learned on had died and now i was using my dad's convertible mustang (not the way to endear yourself to he examiner)and scared to death i'd scratch the car.

but yes, i also remember finally having my own car a couple of years later.

10:54 AM, January 05, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Chris, Well yeah, I can see why your sisters Chevette didn't inspire you. The Celica though, Niiiice! The first car I drove was my husands '74 Camaro.

Lime, Taking your drivers test in a convertible Mustang? Sweet! The examiner musta thought you were some rich little snob. When I took my test, I inadvertently wore a low neck blouse and realized only AFTER the test that the examiner kept asking me to lean over so he could go over my score. I passed with flying colors... But really, that wasn't how I planned to do so.

1:49 PM, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I remember it for sure, and I used to love to drive till I moved here. Since moving here, I'm pretty sure I've become a scowler. I can't get 2 miles from my house without some lout on the phone cutting me off to slam on the brakes the minute he gets in front of me and I'm left to scowl the entire rest of my drive looking anxiously for the next "person" to pull something equally stupid, which is usually just moments later. Yep...i'm a scowler. Unless I'm heading toward Shenandoah...then I'm usually in a happier mood and the scary people are usually headed for the city so it's not as bad. In CT I went for drives just for the sake of going for drives, and photography of course. It was peaceful and enjoyable and I loved every minute of it. Here? Not so much.

Stacie

1:17 PM, January 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home