Friday, December 19, 2008

Let There Be Light

Today my daughter had 4 teeth pulled... Four Adult teeth pulled... Not wisdom teeth, first molars. Her orthodontist has been trying to straighten her teeth for a year now but there's just not enought room in her mouth to make that happen. It seems we, as a race continue to develop a mouth full of large teeth, while our pallets our shrinking... Who knows, maybe our entire heads our shrinking due to the effects of the dumbing down of modern day society... Case in point: T.V. shows like Paris Hilton's search for a new BFF or that WTF show 'Jackass'... Hey, it's Evolution folks!

Wait, did I just suggest that my daughter had to have teeth pulled because she's part of the dumbing down of society? No, that's not true, she's never watched an episode of Jackass or Paris's show. Oh, forget it, now I'm just rambling.

Anyway, between changing out blood and saliva soaked gauze pads, what I really wanted to talk about today is Christmas lights. I LOVE lights. Ever since I was a little girl and my dad would take me to Disneyland*, I would dream of the day I could cover my own trees in tiny white lights, especially lights that twinkle!

Last year I blogged about our pre-lit Christmas tree and how the lights upon it were giving up the ghost. We'd had the tree for 7 yrs. and it was a good run but what fun is a tree which has half the lights dead. Sure you can put other strands on top of the dead lights BUT dead lights on a tree aren't hard to miss and to me they seem to scream 'Pathetic Christmas Loser.'

So, a couple of weeks ago the family, excluding myself, sat around our tree for over 3 solid hours removing all of the lights. Now this may seem like it should be an easy task, but 3 HOURS folks! There were literally thousands of little clips on the tree, securing the lights in such a fashion that a tornado wouldn't be able to rip them off. Though fingers were nearly bloody stumps at the end of the process of denuding the tree, everyone was pleased that we'd saved ourselves at least a $150 for not having to purchase a new tree and did you know that non-pre-lit trees are almost impossible to find?

So, with our 7 yr. old tree now free of dead lights we went to the store and purchased my favorite lighting option, white twinkle lights. Now before I go on here, I'd like to share a memory. Growing up in the 70's I remember helping to decorate the family tree. It wasn't pre-lit, there was a box full of limbs, each limb had a color on it's wire tip which you inserted to a matching colored hole on the trunk, then you spread the branches uniformly. It was a tedious process.

Now the lights, the lights were, in a word, UGLY things. They were the size of door knobs and had every color of the rainbow... Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Hot Pink (yes, hot pink!), Aqua, Orange, etc. But I'll tell you what, thos UGLY lights worked year after year after year. Sure maybe you had to replace a doorknob size bulb every once in a while, but I sure don't recall my parents rushing out to buy new sets of lights every year.

Which leads me to my lovely twinkle lights.... Half of them are dead! Yes, our Christmas tree is currently half-lit... And if another strand of lights goes, that's exactly what I'm going to do... Get myself half-lit... Because then my eyes will blur and the tree might appear brighter and even if it doesn't, I won't really care.

Oh, and don't EVEN get me started on the lights in the garland on the banister. Grrrrrrrr! Freakin' cheap-ass Christmas lighting.



*For those who might never have been to Disneyland, at night, the trees light up with thousands of white twinkle lights, making the atmosphere even more magical. Disneyland at night, with my dad, is a treasured memory.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I hope she'll be feeling better soon. My daughter had all four of her wisdom teeth out on Monday.

8:19 PM, December 19, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

OH YIKES! That poor girl! I know that can't be fun...my son has to have his wisdom teeth out soon and I am absolutely dreading it, I remember when I had mine out, so not fun. I hope she's feeling better soon. And yeah..Christmas lights can be a royal pain! But oh so pretty when all lit up like they're s'posed to be.
Stacie

9:51 PM, December 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am impressed that they sat there and removed all those lights--I'm pretty sure I would've caved an hour into the process (of course that's what the light manufacturers WANT to happen every year, isn't it? That's why they make cheap-ass lights that don't last more than 5 minutes!)

OMG--those old tree lights were awful, weren't they?! And remember the whole tinsel thing? Or maybe it was just us welfare kids that had that b/c it was cheap? That stuff was cheesy & we would find it around the house until July, but we loved it back then!

I loved the note you left me on my blog! You crack me up! I love it when you said that it's not 'letting go', it's just 'getting older' and not caring so much anymore! Isn't that the truth? You took the words right out of my mouth! I guess when you get older, you realize that the whole world isn't going to come crashing down if everything isn't perfect (in your eyes) or if you don't have control over it--HA!!! As if I have control over anything! How silly and arrogant, eh?

9:15 AM, December 20, 2008  
Blogger Chris said...

We had the same type of artificial tree with the colored branches. When I was putting ours up this week, I was having those same early '70's memories.

7:32 PM, December 20, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Belle, she's doing fabulously and I hope your daughter is feeling the same.

Hey Stacie, I think the wisdom teeth are much more difficult to deal with having removed... I've always said I'd go through childbirth 5 more times before I'd experience the pain of wisdom teeth removal again.

Hey Christie, 'cheap ass lights' is right! We used tinsel a couple of times but then my parents went with really hideous garland... You know, that stuff that looked like a mangy cat tail made out of old aluminum beer cans? Blech!

And yes, giving up control really is about being too tired to give a damn. :-)

11:13 PM, December 21, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hey Chris, Nothing like taking a trip down memory lane eh? :-)

11:14 PM, December 21, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

lol, we had the same artificial tree and doorknob sized lights when i was a kid. no memories of walkign in the woods and hacking down tree. we just dragged bags out of the attic, sorted limbs and assembled the tree hoping we'd sorted properly.

9:10 AM, December 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home