Friday, January 16, 2009

Trouble at the O.K. Corral

My husband wants to travel down to the D.C. area for an overnight. He wants to leave tonight and return sometime tomorrow late afternoon. Why? Because his sister is in town.

While I never begrudge him, and honestly, quite often urge him to visit his mom or spend time with his family, this time I told him I thought it was a bad idea and wished he wouldn't go. Mainly because of the Obama Circus that's about to hit D.C.


Now I know the Inauguration isn't until Tuesday but something so massive takes preparation and I've no doubt people are already descending on the district in droves. So I ask myself, why? WHY? go anywhere near such madness? "Because my sister is in town." says my husband. Which yes, I understand BUT she's in town every few months or so. I'm quite sure he can catch her again in March or April.

Folks, I think what we've got going right here is one of them Power Struggles. For, instead of my husband saying, "I can see this worries you." He instead says, "What's your motive for not wanting me to go?" Motive? WTF! I think I made my motivation quite clear. I think it's a bad idea under the circumstances.

I told him he really shouldn't consider the trip and what does he do? He calls his other sister, who lives near the district, to get her opinion. Then he calls his brother to get his opinion. Power struggle INDEED! My opinion no longer matters. Instead he'd rather consult with his siblings over calculated risks.


Just to set things straight. I'm NOT one o
f those women who gets premonitions or acts all illogical and allows my head to fill with absurd notions. I just think it's STUPID to go anywhere near an area which is expected to be overrun with people and logistical nightmares. And yes, I KNOW the actual party isn't until Tuesday but c'mon, you can't tell me that *poof* magically everyone is going to appear THAT day, and all will be smooth sailing directly before and after that period.

The last words spoken between my husband and I went something like this:

All Wise & Prudent Me: "I just think it's a BAD idea."


Stupid Husband: "FINE, I just won't go then!"

All Wise & Prudent Me: "GOOD, because I DON'T think you SHOULD go!"


That conversation took place over an hour ago. He's upstairs in his office working. I'm here on my computer stewing, after slamming a few things around and starting a load of laundry (because you know, shits still gotta get done around here.)


I'm waiting until he comes down for lunch and then I'm going to give it to him with both barrels. That's right folks, High Noon!

UPDATE: While 'High Noon' on Friday was fraught with tension the principals weathered the argument without having to resort to the Big Guns. He didn't make the trip because he respected my concerns for his safety and I didn't hit him when he continued to insist that I was wrong about the possible risks involved.

And life at the O.K. Corral returned to Okay.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

well...i am on your side :) tomorrow might be worse for his drive, b/c Obama is going to be here in Baltimore at 3pm so there will be a circus here too - and those coming up from dc and down from philly etc. you know you could always just let him go and when he calls to complain about all the traffic and insane people - you can simply say "I told you so" Sometimes that feels even better :)

1:41 PM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Katy said...

Well, since he is the one that will have to deal with the crowds, re-routing of streets and general pain in the assedness of the whole thing why not tell him to go ahead!

You won't have to deal with any of it PLUS you can say "I told you so, neener neener neener!" You won't have to have a fight/power struggle over it, he'll get to go, you won't be massively inconvenienced since you won't be in D.C. AND you get to be right. WIN-WIN!

2:05 PM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

I totally get where you are coming from. You couldn't get me within 100 miles of that place for the next week. I avoid circuses like that, live football games, etc. I just can't stand being around massive amounts of chaos and "cluster #*%)ery"

3:12 PM, January 16, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

did everyone live through the night?

2:05 PM, January 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is it, Margie dear, that you can make a disagreement turn into hilarity for your friends to read?
You never fail to make me smile and/or laugh. Thank you! I hope he gets his mud together and understands you are just being protective of him. :-)
Linda J.

4:19 PM, January 17, 2009  
Blogger Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Oh my goodness...I agree with you 100%...while I'd love nothing more than to be in DC over the next few days, their infrastructure just isn't equipped to handle the people who will be swarming in. I'm afraid he'll be very sorry he went.

1:03 PM, January 18, 2009  
Blogger paedstar said...

you are so funny. you make a small fight between husband and wife, hilarious!!!

4:01 PM, January 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home