Monday, January 19, 2009

A 'Shuffle' To The Dark Side

Seeing people with wires hanging from their ears, completely oblivious to the world around them has always annoyed the hell out of me. It's like they're saying, "The world holds no interest for me, you don't matter, the only important thing is this noise filling my head."

Seems EVERYONE is addicted to their ipod...


Then, on Saturday, while my husband, son and I were out shopping for a new printer, my son offered to buy me an ipod... Seriously? YES! Even HE, doesn't own an ipod but he wanted to buy ME one. "As a late Christmas gift" he said. "Really, Why?" I asked. "Because I think you might like it for when you walk." he said. "Yeah, that might be nice." I sighed, completely denying the voice in my head telling me I'd become on of the 'peevers.' "So, let me buy one for you." he said......... And he DID!

When I came home with my new purchase and showed my daughter she was all, "You swore you would never be one of those people. You always told me if you were going out for a walk, you wanted to enjoy the sights and SOUNDS of the nature around you." She practically spat the words at me like she was my mother or something. I stammered back at her because I really didn't have a good reply, "Um, well, I changed my mind. I think it might be nice to listen to music when I walk. (Complete role reversal? Um, yeah!)

"
So, do I think it's a bad idea to listen to an ipod while walking?.... NOT ANYMORE BABY!

I walked 2 miles today and I could've done 3 more (time constraints.) I was pumping away to the music filling my head and I was totally in the zone! To hell with nature when the pounding beat of 'Fall Out Boy's - Folie A Deaux' is keeping me moving (yeah, I'm a 44 yr. old 'Fall Out Boy' fan, what of it?)

I promised I would not wear this thing around family members and take the risk of shutting myself off from others but seriously, it is addictive to have the sound of your favorite music filling your head. I am so in LOVE with my gift.

Take me dark side... I'm all yours!


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger scargosun said...

Welcome to the dark. I love my Ipods. Yes I have 2, one for walking and a 1st generation one that is kinda heavy for walking or running.

1:15 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Carrie said...

Welcome to the dark side :) I too am totally annoyed by people and kids who are wearing iPods while eating dinner with their family at a restaurant etc. But I love my iPod - though I only wear and use it while working out...it does keep you motivated!!

1:42 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Crap- does this mean that I'm going to have to get one now too?

I'm scared to go to the dark side...

5:49 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

Good for you! Music is good for the soul. I wear mine when I have a huge deadline to meet. Keeps me pumped in the same way, plus keeps the gibberjabbers away!

8:50 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i don't like the way people shut each other out with them either but it sure is a handy thing for storing huge quantities of music when you travel. and you can get speakers to hook them up to.

for an activity that will be solitary anyway, it's pretty nice.

9:57 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger mike said...

I also just got an ipod shuffle... I thought I was the last person on earth to get one. I love it! It is the greatest thing ever- I listen to it through my car stereo every day.

By the way, I am a 33 yr old Fall Out Boy fan. Don't worry.

8:53 AM, January 21, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Scar & Carrie, thanks I really like it here *saying that in my best Darth Vadar impersonation*

WM, Embrace it... You know you want to! *still using my Vadar voice*

K&K, You know I'll start wearing it for deadlines now, like the "Damn, I got a sink full of dishes" deadline.

Lime, I promise to do my best to not shut people out... If I have to I'll share an earbud and cuddle up close.
:-)

Mike, when it comes to technology I'm always the last. I'm sure it'll be another 10 yrs. before we get a flat panel t.v. And, 33 yr. old FOB fan yes, but are you a member of their online fan club? Who's the bigger dork NOW Mike?
:-)

11:02 AM, January 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home