Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Vindictive Kitchen Lady

A few weeks ago my friend and I were searching through household items on Craigslist. We happened upon a listing in which a woman was hocking her kitchen, everything... the stove, the fridge, the cabinets, even the kitchen sink. Why? Because she was going to gut her entire kitchen before the bank repossessed her house. My friend said, "Good for her!"

HUH? WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

What in gods name is GOOD about that situation?

I understand people are sore, frustrated and angry about the economic situation but seriously, is this the banks fault? Well, yeah maybe it's there fault to provide a loan to someone who couldn't follow through with the payments but c'mon.

Who ultimately pays the price for such vindictiveness? The bank? No, they'll just raise fees or when some honest Joe tries to apply for a loan he'll be turned down. Who else pays? Jim & Sally Homeowner, who live in the same neighborhood as 'Vindictive Kitchen Lady' because repossessed, gutted houses, tend to lower property values and turn once pleasant neighborhoods into squalor. But that's okay, Jim & Sally will continue to work hard to maintain their little parcel of the American Dream.

So, Gutting a kitchen and selling it off... Payback or Stealing?
What do you think?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger paedstar said...

OH THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!! We have alot of foreclosures in our neighborhood, and people do this all the time. THey have garage sales, and try and sell their toilets, along with stoves, dishwashers, light fixtures, etc. I was talking to this lady's daughter at a garage sale of a house foreclosing. And she said they bought another house down the street!!! I don't know how they got approved for another loan. But come on!!!! People need to take responsibility for their actions, and if you can't pay your mortgage, you lose your house and everything in it. Can you tell I am just a littel bitter???

3:42 PM, January 21, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's stealing in my book. Too few people take responsibility for their own actions these days and blame the bank or the government for the repercussions of their own bad decisions. I have a friend whose kids wanted to buy a house like that and they had to give up on it. They couldn't get a mortgage on a house without a functioning kitchen (ie no appliances, no sink, no cabinets) and they didn't want to take the financial risk of putting in a minimal kitchen before the house was theirs. Of course, I question the wisdom of bailing out the banks from the consequences of their bad decisions as well.

8:42 PM, January 21, 2009  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

You raise some really good points, but I think if it were me, in the heat of the moment I probably wouldnt' stop to think about that. Though to be honest, I dont' think it would occur to me to sell anything that was permanently affixed to the house you know? Seems a bit vindictive to me. I'd sell off my personal belongings in an effort to make the payments first before it ever got that far....

Stacie

1:33 PM, January 22, 2009  
Blogger Katy said...

Definitely stealing. Reminds me of the person I met oh-so-long-ago that knew she was going to file for bankrupcy so she maxed out all her credit cards first.

1:50 PM, January 22, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

stealing. how is destroying something in that way possibly a good thing? i surely don't see it.

5:36 PM, January 22, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Abby, they got approved for another loan??? Amazing, it was my hope that someone like that wouldn't ever be able to own a home again.

Linda, Exactly what I'm saying... Who suffers from such vindictiveness... Why, the innocent of course.

Stacie, I think the important thing to remember is that we all take the time to stop and think about the effect our actions can have on others. And yes, it makes perfect sense to sell off personal belongings in such a crisis, but to tear apart something which is not yours? That's where I fail to understand the logic.

Katy, maxing out credit cards? Um yeah, guess who's going to pay for that through higher interest rates and penalties? The BIG guy never suffers only the everday Joe's.

Lime, EXACTLY!

11:12 AM, January 23, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

That's just like people who think that shoplifters are only hurting the greedy retail chain.

4:14 PM, January 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home