Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Quandary

Our dog Anna is getting old...However, that doesn't stop her from becoming an unbearable nudge EVERY morning over going for a walk... And her favorite spot is 'The Walking Park.' The minute she sees me fill the water bottle and grab the leash she bounds over to the front door, tail wagging furiously and whimpering pathetically. She can scarcely hold her shit together until she's in the van, perched on the back seat and if we don't get there fast enough, she starts whimpering again.

Now this is all well and good UNTIL, we get about halfway through the walk. Then her advanced age begins to take its toll and I start to look like as big an A-Hole as Michael Vic, dragging my poor gimpy dog around the park, trailing 5 feet behind me.

Would you think me EVIL if you saw me walking a dog th
at looked like this? (Advance to :28 and again at 6:32 and again at 7:34 and there you have Anna, my very own Lassie Come Home.) What am I supposed to do? Leave her at the door, sad and dejected? I'm hardly getting a workout when after the first mile and a half I'm slowing to a crawl and turning around every minute or so to play out a scene from 'Brian's Song' saying, "C'mon, you can make it!" All while others walk past me either looking at Anna with pity or to me with contempt.

I could walk her around our neighborhood but I'm here to tell you that my old dog would still feel slighted if I left her behind. I'm thinking maybe I'll try to walk her in the evenings at the park, along with my husband who also complains that I walk too fast for his liking.

As for my Kick-Ass I-Pod Shuffle Song of the Day:
So OK,
THIS song has a really kick-ass beat that seriously got me pumped and moving when I otherwise felt like dragging. I seriously doubt however, this would be one of Anna's favorite tunes. I wonder though, if they'd consider selling doggy I-Pods? Hmmmmmmm?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

poor anna.

love the ipod tune!

3:42 PM, September 16, 2009  
Blogger Chris said...

That is sad. Maybe you can do a short walk with her, take her home and then do a real walk on your own?

That or carry a video camera and when others start walking by, act like you are filming and say "Ok Anna, now walk like you're injured, there you go, perfect, keep acting, keep acting."

6:08 PM, September 16, 2009  
Blogger kiddiesandkitties said...

I can see your point, lol. I too would give someone stink eye if I saw them dragging their poor old pooch around the park, though I totally get that she really wants to go. Getting old SUCKS!

6:13 PM, September 16, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime, OK-GO has some awesome up beat stuff... I'm so glad I hadn't lost the cd... I found that my daughter had the disc hiding in her room.

Chris, Nature Girl SO wants to get video of Anna post-walk now... I just hope the SPCA doesn't get a hold of it or it could be the start of 'Anna-Gate.'

K&K, I can see the stink eye all the way from here... And yes, SUCKS INDEED!

9:09 AM, September 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home