Thursday, August 07, 2008

And then she rolled her eyes...

My daughter, the avid hummingbird photographer, entered the house after a recent 'photo session' and whined to me...

Daughter: "Those stupid hummingbirds!"

Me: "What's so stupid about the hummingbirds?"

Daughter: "Well, I'll try to get a picture of one and just as I get ready to photograph it, another hummer will dart up, start a fight with it and chase it off."

Daughter : *heaving a big sigh* "I want to enjoy the hummingbirds but because they can't get along it just completely ruins it for me and makes me angry at them. It would be so much easier if they didn't fight all the time."

Me: *seizing the opportunity as the PERFECT analogy lay spread out before me* "So wait, I think I know what you're saying! When you and your brother fight I feel EXACTLY the same way!... OH MY GOSH, NOW YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL!" I admit, my tone was fairly dripping with sarcasm.

So you know that sound... The sound of one hand clapping? Or the sound a tree makes when it falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it make a sound?... Yep, besides the eye roll, that's pretty much all I heard after that amazing exercise of connecting the dots.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They never seem to appreciate our attempts to teach them a lesson, do they? Damn kids. LOL

2:43 PM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Katy said...

Ah yes, the eyeroll that is so dramatic it makes a noise. I've heard that one before. Only about seventy times a day.

I hear they become human again about age 25, I'm going to go have a drink until then...

4:23 PM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Susie said...

If I had a nickel for everytime my girls blew me off like that, I would have a million dollars:-)

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog today. Come back later this weekend for another 3-tiered treat:-)

9:36 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

bravo for seizing that OBVIOUS moment. eye roll or not i hope it clicked with her. the sound of a lightbulb going on? no?

10:13 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

If my daughter photographed hummingbirds I could have written this today. Kids fighting=eye rolling to me. My daughter gets mad when I say, "I just don't care."

2:00 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Nancy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA Beautifully told :)

2:01 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it's great that your daughter is photographing hummingbirds--she got some great shots!!

At least you tried w/ the analogy--maybe some of it got through!!

3:17 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Holy Crappers said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog !!

#1

10:17 AM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I would totally have taken advantage of that moment too!! lol

10:24 AM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Buttons and Dots Photography said...

AMEN SISTA! So funny, I absolutely love the opportunity to make a point! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my site!

1:27 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Jen said...

That is too funny, good lesson though. Thanks for stopping by and sharing some comments with me.
a fellow SITSta

2:31 PM, August 10, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

*snort* You are totally my new hero! LOL that's funny!
Stacie

11:01 AM, August 11, 2008  
Blogger Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

But it was such a perfect opportunity! No mom could've resisted it.
Thanks for stopping by my bloggy home!

1:50 PM, August 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home