Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Know It All

I enjoyed a long conversation over the phone with my sister yesterday. We don't get to indulge in those very often due to the 3 hour time difference and the fact she has two little people who keep her on the run. I was in the middle of cleaning bathrooms when the phone rang and her call was the perfect excuse to take a break from scouring my shower.

Midway through all of the catching up, our conversation took an interesting turn. We were talking about our kids, her 22 yr. old daughter and my 18 yr. old son (yes, she has a 22 yr. old, a 6 yr. old AND a 2 yr. old... I know, YIKES!) . We were agreeing on how no matter what we tell our kids, they seem to believe they KNOW everything! It's a universal fact. When you're that age, everyone else is an idiot and, quite simply, your not! My sister and I began reminiscing about ourselves at that age. Mostly we were just struggling to survive in a volatile environment and we never considered uttering a word of disagreement for fear of physical retribution BUT, we still managed to believe in our hearts we KNEW everything!

So, I got to thinking to myself... Now that I really DO know everything (Ha! that's a lie, part of being a mature adult is being able to admit you know Nothing, which is STILL roughly 97% more than your young adult offspring.) I should make a list of things I wish I knew then, that I know now. So the following is what I was able to come up with...

Things I Know Now, I WISH I Knew Then:
  • Self Confidence will help you weather the slings and arrows of Jr. High & High School.
  • Really take time to LEARN the things you're being taught in school, rather than just doing enough to 'get by'... Knowledge is Power!
  • Think about your future and make plans to do something with it.
  • Be outgoing and friendly with Everyone at school, not just those in your 'social circle.'
  • P.E. doesn't really suck. Maybe if you invest a little energy in it, you'll set a precedent for your future physical health.
  • Be proud of the figure you have, you're not going to have it forever.
  • That guy Chuck that you think is so amazingly cute, when he whistles at you, don't be shy, go over and talk to him.
  • Don't wish your life away waiting for the next Great moment.
  • When at 17, you meet that guy, who at first sight you think is a total dork... Be nice, he's going to be your husband.
  • That woman that has made your world a living hell since the day she married your dad... The day is going to come when she won't matter ANY MORE and she'll no longer have any power over you.
There are so many other items and moments that come to mind. But I think I hit on the most important things... Self-Esteem, Education, Self Awareness, A Friendly Nature, Live In The Moment but also know when things are going horribly... This Too Shall Pass.

I've tried to TELL my kids these things but they'll be in their 40's before they really know them to be true.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Nature Girl said...

I should have my 19year old read this post...he not only THINKS he knows everything and everyone else is an idiot, he quite frequently voices that opinion. It's rather comical really...
Stacie

9:14 AM, August 19, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

i think mark twain had a pithy sttement which i will now mangle.

it was something like, "when i was 15 my father knew nothing. i couldn't believe how much he learned by the time i was 25."

9:22 AM, August 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG--the one about the guy you think is a dork becoming your husband? So true, so true...I wish I could help my kids "get" some of the things I've learned too, but you're right, you can't. And it's freakin' frustrating!

6:49 PM, August 19, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hi Stacie, you can have him read it but nothing I say is going to make a difference... Just wait 'til he's 40, then he'll understand.

Yep Lime, it took me an entire page to say what Mr. Twain said in 2 sentences.

Oh Christy, I should probably blog the whole story someday. And yes, frustrating beyond measure but apparently a frustration known throughout the ages.

8:42 PM, August 19, 2008  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Sad - but true - you never learn from your parents the realities of life; it always comes the hard way!

3:12 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Jonara Blu Maui said...

These were great! I can relate to so many of them. And the dorky guy..I met him when I was 11..and AM married to him! 20 years! (at 17 he wasn't so dorky anymore lol!)

3:19 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats for being featured on SITS.
Your words are oh, so true and it is so hard to watch your kids make their mistakes, but mine are all as hard-headed as I was at their ages.

7:33 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger thotlady said...

My cousin told my dad once..."as I get older my parents get smarter".

Too funny!

8:46 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Carrie said...

Visiting from SITS! Congrats on being featured!

Very sweet post! But you know they won't believe you anyway--at least not until they get older! " )

Nice to meetcha SITSa!

p.s. I didn't hate P.E. and I'm still fat, dangit!

9:47 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Mayet said...

hi! found out about your blog from SITS!
have a great day!

11:09 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Bar-b said...

you're right. how to impart this to our children though. all of our life experience will again (as it did for you and me) fall on deaf ears. It's ok though, if they listen now then what great blog entry will be writing 20 years from now :)

Happy SITS day!

11:30 AM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Visiting from SITS. Love this post, I'm going to save it for my niece!

2:08 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Camille said...

It seems all the time lately, I have been reflecting and saying to myself: Wow- mom- you were so right.
Good thing she most likely won't ever see this- she doesn't need to know I think that! ")

3:26 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger WheresMyAngels said...

I so think about this. And agree with all of them, except one, but I didn't have a stepmom!! lol

6:58 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Ginny said...

Great post, it is a shame that teens/young adults can't fully grasp this. Heck, I turned 30 & I'm sure I have a lot to learn. Especially since I can't actually say my age out loud & cringed when I typed it, LOL. Congrats on your SITS day!

10:21 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Mozie, The only way to learn it I guess is to go through it.

Jonara, 11 yrs. old, very impressive... Of course EVERY boy is pretty much a dork at 11. Congrats on 20 yrs... We'll be celebrating our 25th this year and in todays climate I consider it a proud accomplishment for anyone who's made it to 20.

Hey dddiva, thanks for stopping in and yes, paybacks can be hell!

Hi thotlady, Sounds a lot like that quote from Mark Twain the Lime mentioned.

Hey Carrie, Nice to meet you and it's nice to know I don't have to continue to regret the whole P.E. thing... Oh well, it's what's inside that counts, as for the outside, there's just more to love!

Hi Mayet, Thanks for stopping in.

Hi Bar-b, Hey, I didn't think of that, this blog will be the perfect proof for the I told you So's!
:-)

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for dropping by, but don't be surprised if your niece doesn't get it until she's 30.

Hi Camille, Oh c'mon... Just go TELL her, it'll make her entire year!
:-)

Hiya Wheresmyangels, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has regrets and lucky you on the step-mother thing.

10:24 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Krazy Armstrong K's! said...

So very true!!!

10:30 PM, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Rela Pantaleon said...

Great list! I have another one:
There are no stupid questions, so ask away!

7:47 PM, August 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home