Sunday, August 10, 2008

Who Knew?

I always thought it would take an act of God (typhoon, hurricane, earthquake)... to get my son out of the basement and away from his computer. He's an awesome programmer. Works with people from Australia to Timbuktu on troubleshooting computer problems and writing code. I have to say it's really difficult as a Mom, to understand the value of the copious amounts of time my boy spends away from the family when there's nothing tangible I can see from the time spent. I just have to take comfort in the notion that he's helping people and that's a good thing, despite the fact that his parents seldom get the chance to see much more than the back of his head as he sits facing a computer screen in a dimly lit basement.

Enter the 2008 Olympics...

I was out most of the evening on Friday but my husband made a point to drag my son out of his cave and ask him to join him in watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. By the time I got home, around 10 pm on Friday, the feeling in the air of our home was, in a word, ELECTRIC! My son could not stop talking about all of the AMAZING events that made up the spectacle that was the opening ceremony in Beijing.


Come Saturday morning, when my son is typically sawing logs until well after the sun has begun to make it's journey towards the western sky, he was out of bed and turning on the television to see what events were taking place in the world of Olympics. Every other sentence out of his mouth throughout the day was, "Mom, check this out!"... "Mom, this is so cool!" The only time he went near a computer, was to use my laptop in an attempt to find video of the parts of the opening ceremonies I had missed. He was desperate to show me just how spectacular it was.


And now it's Sunday, the second full day of Olympic coverage and here's my son, still excited, still fascinated. I asked him yesterday if he'd been anticipating the Olympics or if it was the Opening Ceremonies that got him interested. He replied that it was most definitely the spectacle that he watched Friday night that got him fired up and said, "I really have to thank Dad for asking me to come watch it with him."

Who knew that my boy would find this battle for the best, the strongest and the fastest so fulfilling? Thanks Beijing for giving me the opportunity to spend some quality time with my son.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool that your son is loving the Olympics!

11:53 PM, August 10, 2008  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

WOW! I think it's AWSOME that your son is so handy with the computer skills, that's FAB, and will certainly serve him well later in life if it's a career field he's interested in! Also Kudo's to him for beind able to turn it off for a bit and being open to new things..I think that's awsome too. Who knows, he may just be so interested in it he takes up a new sport in pursuit of a gold!
Stacie

11:05 AM, August 11, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

now how cool is that? wonderful. oh the ceremonies were pretty impressive too ;)

3:17 PM, August 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home