Monday, July 07, 2008

I know what I said... But a girl can change her mind.

This is what I said, "vow to NEVER take on a decorating project EVER again!" Here. Of course, as with most projects in my life, the frustration didn't end there. I ran into more problems before the entire thing was completed and wrote about that nightmare Here. Believe me, I was 100% serious about ending my decorating career FOREVER because that job was SO stressful.

However, when a dear friend calls you up and informs you she's made the exciting decision to open her own law practice and "Can you help me with some decorating ideas for my new office?"... Well, who could say no to that? And since, as I like to say, the Alzheimer's helped to mellow the horrors of the last decorating project, I acquiesced.

So this is the part where I look back and ask myself, "Was it horrible?... No." "Are you glad you agreed to do it?... Yes!" In the scheme of things this job was EASY and FUN! For one thing, Amy already had a nice desk so that particular nightmare was avoided. The budget was tight so there was no need to go through the angst of window treatments and annoying rod placement. I did have a couple little frustrating projects that didn't turn out quite the way I planned but that all comes with the territory of trying something new.

So, I give you the before and after of Amy's new office:

There is yet another desk coming in where the computer will eventually reside. The smaller computer desk will 'L' off the existing desk. I'd also like to place another plant on the bookcase and perhaps a tree in the back corner.

I'm thrilled with the transformation of the tired old bookcase. It's amazing what a little can a paint can achieve. Because Amy practices 'Family Law' and occasionally will have a child in her office she came up with the brilliant idea of adding the child's table. The top looks red in this picture but it's actually brown. It's just a simple IKEA piece that I dressed up with brown & espresso spray paint.

Now I KNOW the color scheme is extremely familiar to the color scheme in the last office project and if I'd had my choice I would've done something in a whole other palette, because I get bored so easily with sameness. However, gray walls and blue-gray carpet must be a contractors wet dream because I''d swear the same exact bucket of paint and carpet reams were used on both offices. Oh well, I rather like blue & brown together as is evidenced by the look of my blog.

SOooooo, now I ask myself, will I ever decorate another office again? Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmaaaaahhhhhhhh-Hmmmmm-Uhhhhhhh,.... Perhaps.



Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! It's amazing how great a room can look with just some simple, little changes. You did great--I love decorating too. It's so rewarding, isn' it?

By the way, I presented you with an award on my blog, so go check it out! :)

8:00 AM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Salvation Amy said...

No Trees

10:35 AM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Salvation Amy said...

I SAID NO PLANTS

10:36 AM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Salvation Amy said...

Seriously, though? Met with first client today. Guess what? Little kid!

10:37 AM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Thanks Christy and yes it is very rewarding... It's amazing what a little trip to Marshall's can do.

And thanks SO much for the award, I left you a comment. :-)

Amy,
c'mon, just one?
but they're fake!
AWESOME! Did the child think you were like the coolest, most fun person ever? At least tell me he/she sat at the little table and played with the toys?

11:21 AM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Salvation Amy said...

He did for a bit. He was there because he was home from school sick sick sick, so mostly he snuggled. But my partner's daughter came in and headed STRAIGHT for the table and the toy cab.

7:36 PM, July 07, 2008  
Blogger lime said...

great job1 i can understand your boredom with a bland palette but the end result looks terrific:)

9:20 AM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger Carrie said...

It looks great!! So is there a 3rd decorating project in your future!?! how is the cards project going?

6:53 PM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger EmBee said...

Hey Lime & Carrie, thanks for the compliments.

As for the card project Carrie, and thank you so much for asking... I got busy with the 'sick' dog and the office project so I haven't approached the florist yet. I DID however join the card swap organized by one of the SITs sisters and hope to get some feedback on my abilities.

8:26 AM, July 09, 2008  
Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

I like it a LOT. I'd like to see window treatments, but I know that's not "office friendly".

But it's really lovely- really.

2:29 AM, July 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home