Tuesday, September 01, 2009

TNS Tuesday - The CSA

Gee, I haven't written about The New School in ages and since it's getting to be that time of year again... Back to school time, that is... I thought I'd share with you all what some of the members of the school have been up to.

It wasn't until late June that land was acquired by Omnia Humanitas (an off-shoot humanitarian group of The New school) for a farm or CSA, which stands for 'Community Sponsored Agriculture.'

The way a CSA works is at the beginning of the season members buy shares to 'Sponsor' the farm site. As items become ready to harvest, members pick up there freshly grown vegetables once a week and reap the rewards of healthy organic produce for a very minimal cost.

Vegetables are coming in with such bounty, I scarcely have room in my fridge to contain it all. Here are just a few of the items being cultivated. These were taken back in July. My daughter is the official photographer for the project.





With this project I've been given the opportunity to try vegetables I've never eaten before. Who knew I'd like 'Chard'? I've taken to being a little more adventurous with cooking the veggies too. One night I cut up yellow squash, green onions and chard. I minced some garlic and sauteed everything in some olive oil, sprinkled some sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and viola! It was delicious! My kids, unfortunately are gutless wonders when it comes to trying new food. Especially something green.

Today I'm really going to take the plunge and roast some fresh beets. I've never had a fresh beet before but I'm damn well gonna try one. I'll let you know what I think.

Kick Ass Shuffle Tune of the Day:
This tune didn't just make me feel good... It had me feelin' 'Hella Good'... Oh, I just totally gave THAT one away.

By the way, I'm not the craziest person at the walking park. Yesterday I saw a woman holding her I-Pod up to her mouth and singing into it. I had my ear buds in at the time so I'm not sure if she was lip syncing or treating everyone to her own special brand of I-Tunes.

Posted by Picasa

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You didn't totally give it away. When I hear "hella" I immediately assume it's something about Eric Cartman or the Spooky Fish episode of South Park.

Neat idea about the co-op garden. That's one of the reasons I want a new home, I need room for a 1 acre garden.

8:27 PM, September 01, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Chris, I had to look up Eric Cartman. I'm not a South Park fan myself but I DO admit to loving Family Guy.

So you're moving? Or are you just coveting?

8:35 AM, September 02, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

they've certainly got the right photographer for the job! if the kids don't want to try the new veggie recipes i will come visit ;)

9:56 PM, September 06, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime, I'll make you a salad!
:-)

7:15 AM, September 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home