Thursday, September 03, 2009

The Mouth of Pain


There's a distinct difference between the way my daughter and I look at Orthodontia.

Whenever She has an appointment looming on the calendar, she begins to dread the days leading up to it. In stark contrast, whenever I have an appointment coming up, I look forward to it with great anticipation.... Because I like pain? Duh! NO! I'm no masochist. I'm excited to see the orthodontist because I look at it as being one step closer to straight teeth. You see, my daughter has difficulty looking at the Big Picture. She lacks VISION and NO, I'm not saying she needs to see an Optometrist.

So last week my daughter had
her appointment with Dr. 'Game Show Host' the Orthodontist. She was miserable a couple days leading up to it and then miserable for two days after due to the discomfort of having her braces tightened.

Yesterday was my appointment, I couldn't wait, my teeth are coming together so nicely, I was excited to have Dr.
Game Show Host, note my progress. He told me, "Things are really moving along nicely." And then his assistant replaced the upper and lower wires with piano wire and today I'm sitting here worried about how much it's going to hurt when I eat my morning oatmeal.

Just to be a complete killjoy, my daughter said, "Oh, he says 'Things are moving along nicely' to EVERYBODY Mom."
I'm certain in a couple of days my mouth will be back to normal... Well, as normal as it CAN be when it's full of metal and piano wire, but I am determined to be impressively stoic in the meantime... Just to prove to my girl that one doesn't have to be a baby about these things.

Today's Kick Ass I-pod Shuffle Tune:
Now you just KNEW I was gonna through some FOB in here didn't you? This tune came into rotation nearing the end of a good strong walk. Anna was at this point, kinda dragging a few feet behind me. I kept turning back to her and saying, "Are you doin' okay girl?" Then she'd step it up a few paces and eventually fall back again. When this song came on though, I just couldn't help myself. I pounded out the beat but when the chorus hit, I started jogging. Anna half galloped along and when the chorus ended I'd start pounding out the walk again. Then the chorus would hit and off we'd go. If Anna could talk, I'm quite sure she would've been cursing me a blue streak because seriously, she had a marjorly pissed off look on her face.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

I am SO GLAD that the boys are the ones who needed braces instead of the girl. I don't hear a peep out of them about it hurting or not wanting to go but if she has a hangnail it's all drama all the time around here.

My sympathies!

11:34 AM, September 03, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Katy, It's definitely a GIRL thing because I barely heard a peep out of the boy child and yes, my daughter and the hangnail thing... TOTALLY!
Whereas my son had a hole in his lung and we didn't do anything about it for almost 2 days. Which gives you an idea regarding what a GREAT mom I am.
:-)

12:55 PM, September 03, 2009  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

I need to remember to keep a good attitude...I've been a bit on the whiney glass half empty side lately...this was a good reminder to look ahead to the big picture.

11:35 AM, September 04, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Ah Stace, Some transitions are a lot more difficult than others... Just take it one day at a time!
:-)

7:23 PM, September 04, 2009  
Blogger lime said...

i just keep thinking of your doctor game show host and our doctor excitement (just for clarity sake that's sarcasm, folsk because he make a bowl of cold oatmeal look exciting) as roomies at an orthodontic convention. i just wonder if they'd cancel each other out or whose personality woudl win in the epic struggle.

anyway, hope your mouth is feeling better by now.

9:53 PM, September 06, 2009  
Blogger EmBee said...

Lime, We could write a sitcom... That's a hilarious premise.
:-)

7:13 AM, September 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home